There is a growing trend toward knock down and rebuilds on canal land around the Gold Coast because homeowners have discovered that for a small, extra investment they can demolish and rebuild the home of their dreams.
Why Demolish and Rebuild?
- You cannot source vacant land in your favourite suburb
- You want to live in a new home in your current suburb
- You wish to increase the value of your property
- You want less maintenance and greater energy efficiency
- Demolishing and rebuilding is often less costly than major renovations on an old home.
Reasons to avoid renovations
- An old house is still an old house after you renovate, with all of the associated maintenance and possible insurance issues
- Renovations are a painful process that usually cost far more than originally estimated and put a great deal of stress on relationships
- Old homes often have inferior foundations that can be very costly to repair
- You must work within the bones of the existing home and take aesthetics into account. This means that you may have to change your renovation plan to suit the home, so you may not get the home you want at the end of the process. When you demolish and rebuild with Brett Ward Homes, you will get the custom home you desire, designed with your lifestyle and budget in mind
- It is hard to accurately cost renovations because there are too many unknowns with plumbing, wiring, etc. in older homes
Renovation may be the best or the only option if:
- You live in a Heritage home that cannot be removed
- You only require minor renovations
If you are buying an old property in a sought after suburb for knock down and rebuild do your regulatory homework: council controls can include heritage overlays, covenants, easements and building restrictions due to fire and flood risk.
A homeowner must obtain a development application to demolish and rebuild. Engage a reputable, licensed demolition company and recycle as much waste from your site as is possible.
A general guide to Demolition
- Asbestos check – homes built before the 1980’s should be tested for asbestos. If any is present, professional asbestos removalists should be employed
- Amenities – contact your providers and arrange disconnections. If you have gas running to your property, the meter must be removed prior to demolition.
- Arrange for the removal of recyclable materials beforehand
- All materials should be taken from the site and services capped. When this is done correctly, the site is considered ‘clean’. If a site is not clean when the builder starts work, significant costs will be incurred
The friendly team at Brett Ward Homes can help plan your new luxury home for your existing land. We offer standard designs or custom homes to suit a number of lifestyle and budget options.
If you are about to demolish and rebuild on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane, please contact Kirsty or Brett today.